Monday, April 13, 2009

Ava's Easter Dress

The first version of The Shirt Dress I made for Ava made her look like a sausage. It was so tight! I followed Dana's instructions, and her tutorial for turning a men's shirt into a dress is so clearly written and easy to follow. After the first flop, I decided to use a pattern that I already had instead of using my own (clearly flawed) pattern. Here's what I ended up with:




I was in too much of a hurry to take a before picture, but the dress is made from a jacket that belonged to my mother-in-law that was headed to Goodwill. I love the way the embroidery looks. Unfortunately, the jacket/dress is made of linen, which is not the best for toddler-wear.



Also, it was so cold on Easter that Ava had to wear a turtleneck under her dress. Don't worry, it wasn't the red one in the photo below- that was just for practice.

Yes, those are her socks on her hands. She wouldn't keep mittens on all winter, and now every time she has on socks but no shoes, the socks end up on her hands as "mittsocks."

2 comments:

dana said...

Oh! It's adorable! Thank you for sharing. And what an adorable fabric, with the pattern going through. Great work!
I'll have to put together some pictures of everyone's creations. :)

Rosie's Whimsy said...

OMGOSH! She is adorable! Now I know I have to find some shirts to make Lola some dresses. What a perfectly fabulous idea!